A moment of mindlessness:
Slammed the door on my right thumb as I was getting out of a friend's car two days ago. Now nursing a swollen thumb and a magenta nail.
To feel better, I will myself to think of the merits of my plight, other than getting two days off work.
I think of those who, like me, have hurt themselves in accidents that could (or could they not?) have been avoided. All the "if onlys" that goes through their minds.
In my case, "if only I hadn't taken her car", or "if only I hadn't asked her to stop me at X", or "if only Y hadn't joined us, I would have sat in front, and this probably wouldn't have happened". If only. If only. If only. All the "if only" which does nothing to lessen the pain.
Even though it will take time, the damage to my thumb will probably un-do itself. I think of those (like my quadriplegic friend and some of my stroke patients), who have to live with the damage of their accidents. How horrible is that? What is my pain compared to theirs?
And why is it that we start to treasure things only after we have lost them? (Just like, why is it that I begin to miss my sister only after I have lost her?)
How I have taken my right thumb for granted. I can't hold a pen or peel a grape without it. I can't close a cap tight or wring a cloth dry. I can't work (make beds, do dressings, write reports) without it. Why, until the accident, I didnt know I do so many things with my right thumb, and for that matter, my right hand.
Can this be another reminder for me to pay gratitude to all parts of my body, and the people around me, before they are gone, as they surely will be one day?
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment